Community Forums
Forums   Announcements  Upcoming New Missions!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Closed Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Upcoming New Missions!
on Sunday, February, 11, 2018 3:31 PM

On the Starship Horizons Bridge Simulator, content has always been a little sparse. Okay, maybe a lot sparse. Happily, I can announce 2018 will be a year we make an effort get more missions out to you. Currently in the works are:

- Two new, stand-alone, missions. The first is a rescue mission, the second is a search mission that doubles as our first attempt at a two hour mission.

- Our first campaign. This campaign is planned as 12 linked missions that allow the players to fight the first half of the Daichi-Alliance War! Current missions include standard engagements, hit-and-fade attacks, task group vs. task group, and spy missions.

We will be releasing these missions as they are completed and as time allows. We hope you will have fun playing them!

RE: Upcoming New Missions!
on Monday, February, 12, 2018 3:20 PM

This is really exciting!

When you say "Linked Missions", do you mean there's some persistence that carries over from mission to mission (like ship status, bonuses, cargo etc), or story progression? Or both?

on Wednesday, February, 14, 2018 3:47 PM

All of the above.

In the first campaign, players will progress through the first year of the Daichi-Alliance War. Each mission builds on the previous mission and players take part in the major battles. Story, available resources, and (possibly) even damage and crew casualties carry over from one mission to the next.

Results have consequences; failing to save a repair yard from destruction could result in your ship not getting repaired before the next mission, loosing a supply base could result in your ship's missile supply (and other supplies) not being restocked for one or more missions, etc. The loss of allied ships means they will not be available in future missions.

I'm very excited to be involved in the development of this campaign and hope you will enjoy it.

on Friday, February, 16, 2018 12:09 PM

Fantastic!

Is this related to update 9?

on Saturday, February, 17, 2018 6:48 PM

Yes. However, we will still be releasing at least some of the new missions before the v.9 release as some of them don't require the v.9 update to be playable.

on Saturday, July, 28, 2018 9:34 AM

Any word on when we can expect new missions?  Starting to run out of things to do for the crews I run.

on Saturday, August, 04, 2018 11:31 AM

No offense, but imo, this is a dead project. No video updates, missions or forums. Dead. :(

on Monday, August, 06, 2018 9:57 AM

Yeah...... I'm afraid you may be right, but hoping I'm wrong.  It has only been 6 months since they stated there would be new missions coming, so maybe we will get lucky.  I also know they did do some events this year, so maybe they are still working on it.  Keeping my fingers crossed.   

Dev if your out there...... Give us a sign.

on Monday, August, 06, 2018 11:49 AM

I don't think the project is actually dead, just effectively dead.

The development team has for sure dropped the ball on communication, but I don't think they have stopped work 100%. Just maybe 99.95%.

I think overall they lack the experience needed to pull off a product of this size. I call it a product, not a project because that's what it is, a paid product. People were charged for early access, and thus it is a paid product, not a open source or free project that gets done "when we have time". The users are customers and should be treated as such. It is perfectly reasonable for them to feel abandoned, they have been.

I think the team has failed massively on estimating the work to be done, over-promised and under-delivered at nearly every step of the game. And while I understand that during the early phases of product development there are many unknowns, you don't start asking for money until you have a handle on your process (unless you have a kickstarter).

I feel the team is much too small to spend the time it does on promotion and conventions, because that takes a huge hit away from development. While I understand the need for promotion, and that this product is a side job for the developers, it does not excuse what has happened. People have paid for this thing, that makes it a real product with real customers, sure it may be in "early access", but that should only speak to the quality of the software, not the quality of the development team.

I feel communication has been where they fail the most. This product should have a community manager that at least answers all posts with some kind of info, even if it's a "I'll go find that out for you". Responses from staff members are few and far between (it's been over 3 months since the last post by anyone), and are woefully inconsistent. You'll have technical issues go unanswered, yet when someone says "hi" in an announcement forum the CEO of the company will say hi back. It makes the people who are testing the game feel unwanted and ignored.

I have been told there have been delays because they have a side project using the game's codebase that is giving them additional revenue. I understand that a company needs money to continue development. But that company should at the very minimum tell it's existing customers what's going on and not make users hunt the developers down on social media to get a sliver of an update.

I am not convinced this game and it's developer are viable in the long run. The track record of communication is dismal. The quality of the software is sub part at best, embarrassing at worst. I'm not even convinced that using HTML for consoles is a viable idea due to all the issues I've seen with this game. The team seems to care more about saying "We made a thing" then actually making the thing because they now realize that the thing they want to make is outside the scope of there abilities.

I think they will eventually have an update. My guess is it will be too little, too late. This is why I feel the game is effectively dead. I do not see Mythric Studios being able to complete the game with it's current operating policy.

on Tuesday, August, 07, 2018 10:35 AM

I understand where you are coming from.  I am lucky that I did not purchase the game until this year, and have not been dealing with all the issues the last few years.  I guess this is why I seem to have less issues than others.  If I would have been dealing with this for the last two years, I can't imagine how upset I would be.  

I do enjoy the game, and have enjoyed creating two missions for it.  I use the game as part of a team building program for local youth groups, and it does a great job even at this point.  The problem I have is that with my own crew I run out of content very quickly.  I was hoping that updates would expand the roles to be more interesting to experience bridge players.  

My crew spent a few years playing Artemis, but I have grown to have many problems using it.  The game is starting to go in odd directions for me.  I believe that it is being used to satisfy certain groups of players and the game is being modified to their needs.  I also have problems with the iPad version always being behind.  Every time I pull out Artemis a new version has caused me to update all machines, learn the purpose of weapons, ships, or objects that have no real purpose in the game,  and retest all missions to see if they will work on the new version.  All this takes forever!!!!  Running missions or just hit or miss now, and is a problem when using it to work with new players.  

I guess I'm better off using Starship Horizons, and hoping someday to get more content.  I can also spend more time creating missions myself.  Now if I could get the my DMX lighting to work properly, I can really live with what I have.  

Dev team, throw us a bone here!!!!

on Tuesday, August, 14, 2018 3:33 PM

Hey gang... I'm alive but life has taken me and others that help with Horizons down various paths in the last 5 months. Horizons IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. Far from it... I've been quiet on the forums and that is indeed on me but we are alive and well. We even pushed out a small update a few weeks ago.

Release 9 ended up on hold for several reasons. It is indeed still coming... And not like John Cleese in Monty Python and Holy Grail where he never seems to reach the castle. 

Horizons ended up being used by several Escape Rooms and I did have to focus on that for personal reasons. I should have been better about communicating that here and I wasn't. Hard to explain but I accept full responsibility. 

I'm actively working on Horizons now that the other projects have settled in. Fear not.

on Friday, August, 17, 2018 12:37 PM

You may want to consider doing a post every week or so with just a short update status, as an act of good faith to your community.

on Friday, August, 17, 2018 7:11 PM

I agree.

A closed system in nature will have increasing entropy or disorder when cut off from new information.

on Friday, August, 17, 2018 10:04 PM

I agree. It’ll take minutes to write up a short blurb about how the project is going. I’m soooo glad I didn’t drop my money on this.

on Wednesday, September, 05, 2018 7:32 PM

I, for one, am being patient.  I have developed software before, on the side, and it has downside, especially if you have a family.  I need more time to design and create my bridge/man cave anyway :-)

In the back of my mind, I am hoping to use this simulator to build a more detailed simulator that could be used for training purposes for a larger project I have in mind.  Since I'm not ready with the hardware and full-motion systems for a while, I'd rather get a good and well designed product, even if it takes a little longer to produce.  If you read some of the ideas I put down elsewhere in the forums, this ultimate goal could have been supposed.

In the meantime, I can adjust the existing content to suit myself, I need the experience anyway.

Keep on keeping on!

Forums   Announcements  Upcoming New Missions!
You Are Not Logged In

Already Have An Account?

Or You Can Create A
Upcoming Events